This Page

has been moved to new address

EnglishMan in NewYork

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Cool Bihari: EnglishMan in NewYork

« Home | Shotgun Proposes Film City for Patna » | Life at Patna University » | Our New Role Models » | The Journey of Chutney Music » | Greater PATNA PLAN » | Bihar as Role Model » | Heroes of our Times » | Bihar's Untapped Potential » | Big Boost for Bihar » | Rural Road Projects for Bihar »

EnglishMan in NewYork

I don't drink coffee, I take tea my dear

I like my toast done on the side

And you can hear it in my accent when I talk

I'm an Englishman in New YorkSee me walking down Fifth Avenue

A walking cane here at my side I take it everywhere I walk

I'm an Englishman in New York: Sting

I was reminded of this song when i found out this interesting article which appeared in BBC today . It had the piquant story of Owen Tomkinson who was a British soldier who died of cholera in the northern Indian state of Bihar in 1906. If you think that the story is about Mr Owen the you are mistaken as it we are talking about his ghost here.

Believe it or not but people of Ekbalnagar in Gaya town where Mr Tomkinson is buried, believe that his ghost stops residents and passers-by and demands tea and cake.


So much so that to placate the dead soldier's ghost, they offer tea, biscuits and home-baked cakes at Mr Owen's grave at a two-acre burial ground, where he lies buried with hundreds of other Britons who died in the area. Most of the graves are of children, aged between three months to eight years, and who died between 1833 and 1877.


Mr Tomkinson was among the last people to have been buried here - 'In loving memory of Owen, The dearly loved husband of Annie Tomkinson who died at Gaya (sic) on 19 September 1906, aged at 47 years', reads the epitaph.


Gaya is rife with stories about how Mr Tomkinson's ghost "stops people" and "asks for tea and cakes". "When darkness falls, the English ghost appears. He is dressed in a very English suit and boots. He stands in the middle of the road demanding tea and biscuit," says local school teacher Mohammad Zamiuddin.


Mehmood Ali, caretaker of the 'European' graveyard where the Englishman lies buried, is not sure of Mr Tomkinson's ghost, but says there is a "ghost in the area who likes tea and biscuits" . "I have never met the English ghost. But I believe there must be some restless soul roaming around the area with his penchant of tea and biscuit," he says.


Sexagenarian Mohammad Basir says he had an encounter with the ghost some five years ago early one morning. "He stopped me but after shaking my hand became invisible," says Mohammed Basir, a small time businessman.


There are even stories of how the ghost was "tamed" by a local resident few years ago by "chaining" it to a pillar in the graveyard. "He tied him with some divine chains and fixed him to iron pillars near the grave," says resident Mohammed Zamiuddin.


But Mr Tomkinson's spirit was free again after the chain was stolen from the graveyard, says caretaker, Mohammed Ali. The oldest English resident of Gaya town, Arthur Wakefield, is appalled by the ghost stories surrounding Mr Tomkinson. "This story about his ghost demanding tea and biscuits is just hogwash and part of the local superstition," he says.


But residents of Ekbalnagar - the most backward neighbourhood in Gaya town - still keep queuing up at Mr Tomkinson's grave to offer tea and cakes. Faiyaz Ahmed, a local resident, says it is a small price to pay to keep the Englishman's ghost happy.


"He is quite unlike other ghosts. He is harmless. Even if you do not serve tea and biscuit, he leaves you if you promise to get it any other day," he says.


Well it appears that the English Gentleman’s Ghost is pretty well behaved and doesn’t bother folks much even they promise him Tea Biscuit some other day.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

About me

  • I'm Ajit Chouhan
  • From Houston, TX, United States
My profile
E-mail Ajit Chouhan

View Ajit Chouhan's profile on LinkedIn

My Orkut Profile

Join Cool Bihari Community on Orkut

Join Bihari Bloggers Community on Orkut

Join Patna Rice Community on Orkut

Join Cool Bihari Group on Yahoo

Jai Bihar

New Page 1

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Patna Rice: Join Now !! New Page 1

 

 

My Other Blogs